City of Port Elizabeth
The city is situated 260 km from Knysna and +- 800km from Cape Town. It is known for its sunshine and safe sandy beaches . For the tourist wanting a total South African experience, Port Elizabeth is the perfect complement to the Garden Route, Settler Hinterland, Sunshine Coast and Cape. Located on the South Eastern coast of Africa, this major sea port and tourist destination is set along the beautiful shores of Algoa Bay, and is fondly referred to as the Friendly Eco-City. The city is the second largest city in terms of area and the fifth largest in terms of population in South Africa (1.1 million). The city is also an important centre for the South African motor industry.
South Africa is bordered by the Indian Ocean to the east and the Atlantic Ocean to the west . It extends about 1,000 km from north to south and more than 1,500 km from east to west. It is divided into three major regions :
– The High Veld , vast semi -arid interior plateau ;
– Lower Veld , consisting of three coastal plains ;
– The Kalahari basin in the north -east , where the southern part of the desert of the same name .
The mountainous goes from the Cape of Good Hope and reached the valley of the Limpopo River ( north-east) . It is divided into three distinct channels : the Nuweveldberg the Stormberg and Drakensberg which rises to over 3,400 m. The large semi -arid Karoo Basin ranges between channels Cape and the Drakensberg . To the east of the country, consists of narrow coastal plains and hills, while in the south there are more ridges, headlands and bays . The coast is an alternation of sandy beaches and rocky coves .
South Africa is in the southern hemisphere. Its seasons are reversed compared to Europe. The months of December, January and February correspond to the austral summer ( and major holidays). The climate varies from one region to another.
– Cape Town ( Cape Town) has a Mediterranean climate character . Summer ( September to April ) are hot and dry, with temperatures around 28 ° C. Winter ( May to August ) is temperate (17 ° C) , but the temperature can drop to 8 ° C.
– Along the Atlantic , the climate becomes increasingly hot and dry up towards the north.
– In Durban and on the coast of the Indian Ocean, the climate varies from temperate to subtropical. The coolest months are June and July, and the warmest are December, January and February.
– In Johannesburg and the High Veldt (Gauteng , Free State ) , the climate is dry and sunny in winter ( 20 ° C during the day at 5 ° C overnight). From October to April , the hot days are punctuated with showers and impressive lightning late afternoon.
– In the Lower Veld ( Mpumalanga) , summers are very hot and punctuated by thunderstorms, mild and sunny winters.
– In the Karoo , heat is crushing , as in the American deserts .